Pages

Thursday 30 October 2014

Phirni- Indian Rice Pudding

I just love Phirni...it is really amazing! Whenever I go to BBQ Nation, or any other restaurant where there is a buffet, I just can't resist over this sweet delicacy! I just love it. I have at least 2-3 bowls of it and leave out the main course! :) That's my love for phirni and its a healthy dessert because it doesn't have that much sugar and has no ghee in it! - The best part!


I always had phirni at restaurants only. So, yesterday I just thought of making it myself! I googled for the recipe and I found a perfect recipe at Sharmi's Passions . I became so excited after seeing her clicks that I started immediately! I modified the recipe a little bit according to the ingredients available at my kitchen!
The result was so yummy....that I ate all the 3 bowls of it myself!! :P I know its kind of weird, but it is the truth. Though, my mother and my cousin tasted a bit from the last bowl! But now that I know how to make it, I will make it more often! :) :) You must try this recipe! The ingredients are very very simple and are available at almost everyone's houses!

Prep Time: 1hr    Cook Time: 20 min  

Serves: 3 medium bowls (or 4 small ones)

Ingredients:

Rice- 3 tbsp
Sugar- 3 tbsp
Milk- 2 cups
Cardamom- 3 to 4 
Cinnamon- 1/4 tsp or a little piece as shown in picture below
Almonds- 3 to 4 (chopped)

Method:

  1. Take your rice, wash them thoroughly with water and soak them in water for 1hr. Then after 1hr, strain out the water and just leave 1/2 tbsp of water in them. Grind them in a mixture till it forms a thick paste. You may add a little more water to get the proper consistency.
  2. Grind your cardamom and cinnamon together into a powder. 
  3. Then, take a heavy bottom pan and add milk into it. Boil the milk for 2 to 3 minutes. To a tbsp of warm milk, add grinded spices. 
  4. Then, add the spice milk into it and stir well. After another 10 seconds add the rice paste and stir well on low flame so that the rice cook properly. After 10 to 12 minutes, add the sugar into it and let it melt. Then stir it well.
  5. After that, when you get the perfect consistency as shown in the picture below, switch off the flame and pour the phirni in bowls to set. (Don't let them cool in the pan, otherwise it will set in it)
  6. Garnish with chopped almonds and chill for 20 to 30 minutes. Enjoy :) 

Pictorial:


Take all your ingredients

Soak rice in water for 1hr

After 1hr, strain the water out


Make a smooth paste 


Add milk to a saucepan and boil it
Take the spices

Grind them

Take a tbsp of warm milk

Add ground spices to the milk

After the milk has boiled....

Add the spice milk


Stir it well
Add the rice paste

Add sugar

Mix well

After the rice paste is all cooked and the consistency is like this, switch off the flame

Chill and serve! Don't forget to garnish it with some chopped almonds! Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Responding! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...